Founded in 2005 by Richard and Denise Baines, teachers in International schools and colleges in Belgium, the Giraffe Project is a UK registered charity providing educational opportunities for children and young people from extremely deprived areas of Nairobi. It works closely with 3 schools in and around the slums, and also provides support for teenagers to finish their studies in boarding schools outside. Graduates from secondary schools are sometimes offered places in vocational training
colleges. All the schools are managed and run by local people.
The charity has grown steadily since its inception in 2005: last year's turnover was 189,000 GBP. The Trustees are committed to grow the charity in keeping with its stated objects, with the help of a staff of expert volunteers, and to ensure that at least 95% of all funds raised reach the projects in Kenya. In the case of sponsorships, 100% is committed to the schooling and wellbeing of each individual students sponsored.
Read more about who we are.
- **NEW** Giraffe Project Team Visit to Nairobi 2013 - to stenghthen ties with the Kenyan team, contribute in a constructive way to the improvement of their schools and the lives of the children there, and carry out a number of administrative tasks relating to the projects and sponsorship programme. Please see the following documents for more information:
- **NEW** Why not host a dinner party in December and help raise money for the Giraffe Project. Instead of your guests bringing chocolates or flowers they could make an equivalent donation to support our work. Download an invitation template here.
- THE TUMAINI SCHOOL BUILDING IS FINISHED! Read the full story here...
- Latest newsletter - Look out World - April 2012. Download it here.
- NEEMA CENTRE PROJECT NAIROBI KENYA - We are looking for corporate partners to work with us on a project that will transform the lives and prospects of around 60 young people every year. For more information please read more about the project here.